Vitamin D Overdose

side effects vitamin d3What is too much vitamin D

Although the majority of people take vitamin D supplements without any issues, it’s possible to take too much. This is called vitamin D toxicity. Vitamin D toxicity, where vitamin D can be unsafe, usually occurs if you take 40,000 IU each day for a few months or longer, or take a huge one-time dosage.

Vitamin D is fat-soluble, which means your body has a difficult time eliminating it if you take too much. When you take huge amounts of vitamin D, your liver produces too much of a chemical called 25(OH)D.

When your 25(OH)D levels are high, this can trigger high levels of calcium to establish in your blood. High blood calcium is a condition called hypercalcemia.

The symptoms of hypercalcemia include:
– feeling ill or being ill
– poor appetite or loss of hunger
– sensation really thirsty
– passing urine typically
– irregularity or looseness of the bowels
– abdominal pain
– muscle weak point or pain
– feeling confused
– sensation tired

In some uncommon conditions, you might be at threat of hypercalcemia even if you have low vitamin D levels and haven’t taken much vitamin D. These diseases include main hyperparathyroidism, sarcoidosis and a couple of other rare illness. See our Hypersensitivity page page to learn more.

How do I know if I have taken too much?

A blood test to determine your 25(OH)D levels can inform you whether you have too high of vitamin D levels. If your 25(OH)D levels are above 150 ng/ml this is considered potentially poisonous and potentially unsafe to your health. You understand if your 25(OH)D levels are toxic by a blood test to determine calcium. If calcium is high and 25(OH)D is high, then you are getting too much vitamin D.

Very high levels of 25(OH)D can develop if you:
– take more than 10,000 IU/day (but not equivalent to) everyday for 3 months or more. Nevertheless, vitamin D toxicity is more probable to develop if you take 40,000 IU/day everyday for 3 months or more.
– take more than 300,000 IU in a 24 hour period.

If you have actually taken this much vitamin D, look for medical attention. Your health carriers will get your calcium and 25(OH)D levels tested.

The present advisable everyday allowances for vitamin D set by the Food and Nutrition Board are conservative, so you do not need to feel worried about toxicity if you take more than their advised day-to-day allowance. You can discover more about daily vitamin D supplementation on our page, How do I get the vitamin D my body needs?

What should I do if I think I have taken too much vitamin D?

Have you taken more than 300,000 IU in the previous 24 hours OR have you been taking more than 10,000 IU/day for the past 3 months or longer?
– If yes, examine to see if you have signs of toxicity (noted above); symptoms like feeling sick, feeling thirsty, constipation or looseness of the bowels, bad appetite and sensation puzzled. If so, you may have hypercalcemia and need medical attention.

– If you do not have any symptoms, you likely do not have hypercalcemia. Nevertheless, you should get a blood test for 25(OH)D and ensure that you do not have a level above 150 ng/ml. Think about decreasing your vitamin D dose. See our page How do I get the vitamin D my body needs? for additional information.

– If no, you likely do not have hypercalcemia and are not harmful. If you are still concerned, you may choose to get a blood test to measure 25(OH)D to see exactly what your levels are. See our Testing page to learn more.

– If you have symptoms of toxicity however have actually not taken more than 300,000 IU in 24 hours or more than 10,000 IU/day for the previous 3 months, you may have a really unusual condition that is delicate to vitamin D. Please see our Hypersensitivity page for more information.

What about kids?

The more you weigh, the more vitamin D your body can deal with; the less you weigh, the less vitamin D your body can handle. The above cutoffs of 300,000 IU in 24 hours or more than 10,000 IU/day for 3 or more months put on typical adult weight (125-200 lbs).

So, how do you understand if your youngster has gotten too much vitamin D?
– For kids that weigh 25 lbs or less, more than 50,000 IU in 24 hours or 2,000 IU/day for over 3 months is too much and potentially harmful.
– For kids that weigh between 25 and 50 lbs, more than 100,000 IU in 24 hours or 4,000 IU/day for over 3 months is too much and possibly hazardous.
– For children that weigh in between 50 and 75 lbs, more than 150,000 IU in 24 hours or 6,000 IU/day for over 3 months is too much and potentially harmful.
– For youngsters that weigh in between 75 lbs and 100 lbs, more than 200,000 IU in 24 hours or 8,000 IU/day for over three months is too much and possibly poisonous.

If your kid has actually taken too much vitamin D, seek medical interest.

I already checked my 25(OH)D. Is my level expensive?

If your level is greater than 150 ng/ml, this is considered too high and possibly toxic. Look for medical attention if you have symptoms of hypercalcemia (listed above). If you do not have signs, think about lowering your level.

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


2 × two =